MobiDig manual: Mobile digitizing and new tendencies in digitizing written heritage by small libraries, archives and alike
Mobile Digitizing (MobiDig) aims to establish an open and innovative training for librarians, archivists, managers of small organizations and Vocational education and training (VET) teachers in the field of library science, on how to build low-cost digitizing facilities for their purposes and how to maintain the data. For the MobiDig project there are seven training modules developed and translated in 6 languages.
- Main steps in digitizing written heritage;
- The selection of books and documents: evaluation, priorities and motivation;
- Hardware analysis, evaluation and recommendation for digitization;
- Digitization software;
- Developing low-cost digitizing installations in small libraries, archives, community centres;
- Approaches in training managers of libraries/archives and library/archive staff how to implement digitization in their organization;
- Digitization and copyright;
For each of the seven modules there is a short digital training movie for illustration. The movies are integrated in the respective modules of the LMS. The idea is to use the full potential of ICT and modern media and provide the target group with as much visual and practical learning materials as possible.
The Learning management system (LMS) with the seven training modules integrated in it is a major resource for self-study or guided training. Everybody is able to quickly access them at any time and choose their own learning paths depending on their needs. It can be used for guided training too. Bigger libraries can use them to train smaller ones, VET schools and other organizations can add them as an integrated part of a wider “cultural heritage preservation” subject, or as an extra-curricular one. The System is integrated in all partner languages including English.